Friday, March 09, 2007

"300" and Marriage

This potentially GMOAT (greatest movie of all time) comes out this weekend, and like most red-blooded American males out there, I'm absolutely stoked to see this. And while a post dedicated to how absolutely awesome this movie will be would normally be sufficient, I feel the need to utilize this topic to discuss one of the key components in marriage: compromise. The reality is that it would be a cold day in... well, you know, before my wife would go see this movie. Despite my best efforts, she just does not find the same joy I do in viewing 2 ancient armies stylistically and bloodily hack each other to bits. Early on in our marriage (yes, I realize I've only been married for 6 months now, but I'm talking about within the first month), discussions about which movies we would watch began to come up. For example, I wanted to go see "Snakes on a Plane". I could not understand why my wife would have no desire to see this movie. I mean, what could be better than watching Samuel L. Jackson trapped on an airplane full of poisonous snakes. She, on the other hand wanted to go see "Step Up". What made her think that I would have any desire to see some fruity dancing movie is beyond me. So, we compromised. We went to the movies together, and met up with our married friends Steve and Meghan. Steve and I went and saw "Snakes on a Plane" while Kim and Meghan saw "Step Up". We then met back up for ice cream afterwards. This method has worked extremely well since. Steve and I saw "Borat" together, while Kim and Meghan saw "The Queen". And now, we will do this once again for "300". I'm not sure if Kim and Meghan have decided what movie they will see, but I'm sure they will go see something that I wouldn't allow my cold, dead corpse to be drug into. And this is why we have a happy marriage. The End.

1 comment:

bec said...

genius. Our solution to that was to play chess.